Saturday, March 6, 2010

Vancouver Olympics Part 1 - The Torch

It's been a little while since Sarah and I have written on the blog as we were pretty busy with the entire world landing on our doorstep for a long three-week party. I've been so busy with school, work, planning for the big trip, etc, that I didn't give too much though to the upcoming Games. So when they finally came, I didn't have particularly high expectations. From the first day on, I was blown away. I'll try to put together a few posts highlighting some of my favorite moments.

 The Olympics hype started to hit a high note in the weeks right before the opening ceremony as the torch zeroed into downtown through a circuitous route through the city. A bit like a target floating around and finally settling on us... The torch itself was quite beautiful, white and arching to represent the vast lands of Canada, you can read more here if you are interested. A few days before the opening of the Games, the torch came by Women's Hospital where I work. We all headed out to watch. There was a particularly large crowd at the torchbearer was Jan Arden, who is a relatively famous singer here in Canada. I took a little video on my iPhone:



If you look closely you can see Gregor Robertson - mayor of Vancouver - run up to Jan as she runs away and have a bit of a chat with her. Just seeing the torch, which had traveled to within viewing distance of 90% of the Canadian population was pretty inspirational. Much more Olympic news to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment